Taking care of your newborn is essential for the first few months, which can be chaotic & overwhelming. You will receive varieties of advice from different persons about newborn baby care.
People even get confused about using the right baby products, including shampoo, soap, and massage oil.
Worry not, because we’re here to help you in newborn care for the maximum benefits.
8 Tips to Take Care of Your Newborn
Taking care of your newborn is challenging for first-time parents.
- Feeding – One of the most challenging tasks of newborn care is to feed your baby. The mother should feed the baby every 2-3 hours, so it’s important to nurse the baby 8-12 times in 24 hours. Breast milk contains all the essential vitamins & nutrients that are required for the growth & development of the baby.
- Burping – Once the baby is done eating, they burp since they swallow air while eating. This is due to colic & gas in their tummies, which can be released through burping. Hold your baby against the chest with one hand, and your chin should rest on the shoulder. Now pat or brush them back gently with your other hand until your baby burps.
- Umbilical Cord Stump Care – You must be very conscious of the umbilical cord stump for the first month. It is recommended to give a bath for 2-6 hours with lukewarm water after the birth to keep the navel clean & dry. Also, ensure to disinfect your hands right before handling the navel area.
- Diapering – Clean the diaper area and diapers 6-8 times daily, along with regular bowel movements. It’s essential to clean the diaper to avoid any type of infection.
- Bathing – It’s a delicate task to give a bath to your newborn. Even then, you need to give a bath to your baby 2-3 times a week as the cord stump dries & falls off.
- Massaging – It’s great to massage your newborn with baby oil such as coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or black sesame oil. A gentle massage soothes the baby and helps improve blood circulation & digestion. Massaging the baby before a bath is a great time for the baby.
- Handling Newborns – When holding the baby, it is recommended never to shake them since their internal organs are very delicate and can be easily dislocated or damaged. Make your baby lay with their tummy on the floor daily for a while. This helps to make the back & neck muscles stronger.
- Sleeping – Newborns must sleep at least 16 hours a day for the first two months of birth. Babies take a nap for 3-4 hours and wake hungry. So you need to wake them every 3 hours and feed them.
It can be perplexing for first-time parents to take care of their newborn babies. You must look for even small changes to ensure the babies don’t get into trouble. Now pat or brush them back gently with your other hand until your baby burps.
However, you need to always use natural products for newborn care essentials. As for massaging, you can use Little Rituals’ baby massage oils that are free from chemicals and 100% natural and plant-based.